Friday, July 26, 2013

Writing: Story Update

So, about a week or so ago, I published the first draft version of the prologue of my new story I've been working on. After doing so, I realised that I shouldn't have done that. My first drafts are horrendous and jumbled up. The reason for this is that I'm usually telling myself the story the first time around, which results in crappy sentences and shallow characters. These things get fixed in subsequent drafts. Therefore, I've decided to wait until my second draft is complete to post the story. That way, you guys don't have to waste time reading a story that's terrible :) I will consider, however, doing a before and after post using the first and second drafts of the prologue (or other part of the story) to show how much change goes on during revision.

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the second draft!

2 comments:

  1. I know that feeling--though I've learned that when it comes to first drafts, don't worry about perfection. Just get the words and the feelings out of your system, and once you finally have them all in front of you in tangible form, THEN you can polish them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First drafts are never at their best, so don't get discouraged. After all, writing is rewriting. I'm also working on a story. It's taking so long mostly because of filling gaps in the first draft. To communicate this vision in my head, it takes a few revisions. I also just scrapped part of the story, so who knows when it will be finished.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...